TSHA was formed in late 2008. Our meetings are an exchange of ideas and information. Each month a member “hosts” the meeting. Hosting consists of deciding the meeting place and providing the educational program for that meeting. the education can be presented by a member of TSHA or by a guest expert. We usually have a pot luck meal or snacks, and fun. Jan., Feb., and March meetings are on Sunday afternoons, the rest of the year they are on the 3rd Tues. of the month.
Meeting education has included:
* horse trailer maintenance and hauling safety by Tom Stoeckle of Elderknoll Farm
* equine dentistry with guest Steve Shaver, equine dentist
* soundness through correct trimming and shoeing with Paul Melcher, master farrier
* Myofascial Release therapy for horses with Heather Brinkman of Integrated Sport
* information and tips on participating in the Michigan shore to shore ride by
Carmen Longuski of Holbrook Tack
* core health care and Q&A with Dr. Michelle from Deckerville Vet. Clinic
* unmounted rider awareness and rider fitness with Paula Pethers of
Dream Rider Equestrian Services
* what every horse owner should know about insurance, guest speaker
* MI. equine statistics and legislation affecting horse owners, guest speakers from
Michigan Equine Partnership
* Form to function, a guide for using your horse’s conformation to choose his job. Learn
basic conformation analysis, Jan Spitza from Elderknoll Farm
* a tour of education about the history and use of member Sue Healy’s collection of
* fox hunting explained, guest speaker Julie Bates
* correct manure composting by Pat Wearmouth
TSHA has held clinics on: beginning driving, a fun day of ground work with your horse, parts 1 & 2 of “the Ultimate” seat, equine structural integration and myofascial release for soundness of our horses, a clinic where riders saw the new dressage tests being ridden, and others.
We have had several trail rides for members at Elba, Cummings Center and part of the shore to shore trail. We have done field trips to watch the “hazards” section of a combined driving competition and to the MDA new dressage test clinic at MSU.
We hosted ( with the R.E.D.E. 4H- club) an open house featuring a dressage drill team from Ashley Oaks farm and a mini reining clinic by Trevor Walton. In 2011 we put on our first Spot Horse Schooling show with dressage, hunt seat and over fences classes.
We have many exciting , interesting and educational fun things planned for 2012.